Maybe this isn’t a common problem. I admit to suffering from what I like to call Preserving Mania. Maybe it’s a throwback to my Back to the Land days, when we had no electricity nor refrigeration and were trying to raise all our own food. But now I live alone (well, me and the dogs), and how much jam can I eat, really. It makes good gifts, but one jar at a time only adds up to maybe a dozen per year. My kids now give me THE LOOK when I visit bearing jam.
So, research project: what can you do with jam, other than spread it on toast? A few things were obvious: it makes great flavoring for plain yogurt. Thumbprint cookies rock the Christmas cookie exchanges and potlucks. Jam bars, too. But what else have I not thought of? To the Google machine!
I found some great ideas, some of which I know I will use this year. Here’s my top ten, in no particular order:
- Jammy fruit leather. How could I not have thought of this? I’ve been making apple leather for years, but I never thought of flavoring the basic applesauce with jam! Brilliant.
- Rustic Jam Shortbread Tart. This recipe combines two of my favorite things: shortbread and using up jam. Yum!
- Vegan Thumbprint Cookies. A vegan take on the classic. You know you’re eventually going to go to a potluck at a vegan friend’s house and this way, you won’t feel like an idiot.
- Hamantaschen. If you’ve never tasted this traditional Jewish Purim treat, you’re in for a treat! These bite-sized, buttery, triangular cookies can be filled with either poppy seeds or (of course) jam. Perfect!
- Barbecue Sauce. Tired of making sweets with your jam? Try this savory sauce for your next grill session.
- Sparkling Jam Cocktail. Drink the too-much-jam blues away!
- Fruity Vinaigrette: you could do this with any flavor of jam.
- Sweetie Pies. So cute. Perfect for Valentine’s Day.
- Jam Straws. What’s not to love about these?
- Pull-Apart Easter Blossom Bread. So beautiful.
I’d be interested to hear if any of our readers have had (and preferably solved) this problem. Maybe I need counseling.
P.S. Ooh, I found another one. Can’t resist Strawberry Jam Sweet Rolls!